Spotlight: Emily Dunlevy

Emily Dunlevy is one of the most dedicated cross-country runners in the state. Dunlevy is a senior, and a four-year member of the cross-country team. Dunlevy is also a National Honor Society member. Dunlevy looks up to her Coach, Mr. Galik.

“He has supported me, believed in me, and helped me believe in myself since my first cross country practice my freshman year,” said Dunlevy.

Dunlevy trains every day on a monthly mileage plan given to her by Coach Galik. Dunlevy placed first in the Park Class back-to-back years and also won the JM Invitational two years ago with her team. 

“I just love being able to watch her as an audience. I’m a fan of her when she’s out there. To see her work ethic and how hard she drives it doesn’t matter what it is. I’ve watched her as a little girl playing basketball to the weight room to cross country, whatever she puts her mind to, she’s going to achieve. So, it’s inspirational to be around her, and watch how hard she’s willing to work and give to whatever she decides to do,” said Coach Doc.

Dunlevy’s hard work and determination in whatever she is doing never goes unnoticed. Not only does Emily spend her time training, but she also likes to travel and play with her three golden retrievers: Miles, Major, and Maisley. A teammate of Dunlevy’s, Gabrielle Romanek, has lots to say about Dunlevy and her accomplishments.

“Emily is a very dedicated runner to not only the races, but to the team,” says Romanek. 

“In every way, I’ve never had anyone work like she works and be as dedicated as she is. She never makes an excuse. She never takes a day off, never takes a run off, constantly and always gives us her best. Her work ethic is legitimately second to none. I have never had a worker like her, we’ve had a ton of really talented kids come through, but nothing like her. She will do what needs to be done to be the best that she can be and that’s all that any coach can ask of any athlete. There are all kinds of ways to lead. A lot of people are talky, loud leaders, and other people just show up and do the right things all the time, every time, and set a good example for the younger kids and that’s what Emily does. You can’t look at her and not be inspired to do the right thing,” said Coach Galik.

Emily’s dedication to the sport she loves has helped her succeed. Her work ethic is one of the most inspiring and important aspects of her and her sport. Emily wholeheartedly puts all of her efforts into being the best of the best in anything she does. This is inspiring to the people simply in her presence. 

Emily plans to attend college and continue her cross-country career. She is currently exploring her options. Dunlevy would like to major in Travel and Tourism.