Robotics is on the Climb

Pictured+above+are+Levi+Henry%2C+Stephan+Jones%2C+and+Wyatt+Wheeler+working+on+their+robot.+
Pictured above are Levi Henry, Stephan Jones, and Wyatt Wheeler working on their robot.

Robotics teams 62629W, 62629X, and 62629Y compete at Wooster, OH, for their first fall competition on October 28. 

This year’s competition is called “Over Under.” The teams must score the triballs, or triangular prism balls, under a net. They are also tasked with a climbing portion where the robots hang off the poles. The higher they hang, the more points they receive. 

Each triball under the net is 5 points. Each triball on your side of the field is 2 points. The highest-hanging robot gets 20 points, the second-highest gets 15, the third gets 10, and the fourth gets 5. 

Emma McNickle on team 62629Y, said her favorite part of robotics is, “Seeing everyone else’s robots, competing on the field, seeing what we can do best and what we need to improve on next.¨ Her least favorite part is waiting in long lines at competitions. She adds that her robot is prepared for launching triballs. 

Wyatt Wheeler on team 62629X said his team works together in and out of school, “Everyone has a job and everyone does their job. We do stuff outside of school to get better inside.”

Both middle and high schools in Ohio County have constantly come out on top. Will Fuller on team 62629W said out of the 7 awards you can win to qualify for worlds, 6 were won by Ohio County Schools. 

“Robotics makes me a better student, allowing me to work better as a team,” and that it “[helps] you think more methodically about what you need to do” said Alex Zhao on team 62629X. For competitions, he learns to deal with mistakes and how to problem-solve on the spot. This is a skill all students need to know. 

Robotics has been going on for 3 years.”The robotics program has received better funding and has been recognized more for winning” said Wyatt Wheeler. For the future of robotics, “We want to win every single tournament…win states next year, and…make it to the dome at the Worlds Tournament” said Will Fuller. 

Good luck to our Wheeling Park High School robotics teams!

View Comments (1)
$125
$500