Elliana Mccabe looks back on the 2023-2024 school year.
A Year in Review
May 16, 2024
Custom canva design
Take It From Us
May 16, 2024
Runners gliding over hurdles.
Track States
May 15, 2024

Football Looking Forward

Jeremiah Jones

The football team is  2-1 and looking forward to the unpredictable future. Their next game is away vs. Steubenville on Friday at 7. 

After blowing out Hedgesville and Brashear, Coach Doc takes away some positives from winning so big, “the upside to winning convincingly is you do get to use a lot of players, and so you get to evaluate guys, you get to see them play, not just practice, so that’s good.”  On the other hand, there are some downfalls to starting off with easy games, “you worry a little bit about being ready for the night where things aren’t going to go quite easily. Playing four quarters, the physical demands of it, and you know we haven’t really had to do that yet, so I worry a little bit about that,” said Coach Doc. 

Our football team travels far to find games to play, “we’ve had a very difficult time scheduling, especially in our state. We’re in a bad area, there’s not a lot of AAA schools here, Brooke and John Marshall. Eastern Ohio has dwindled in population, so they used to be some games over there. Now there’s Steubenville and St. C, sometimes, and next year we aren’t going to play St.C, so it will just be Steubenville,” said Coach Doc. Last season our team traveled to Cleveland, Pittsburgh, and Ohio to find games, “we seem to have a better chance of finding them in Ohio, and Pennsylvania then we do West Virginia,” said Coach Doc. 

As we dive into the season, our team has some big rivalries ahead, “obviously Brooke and John Marshall, they’re still rivals. There’s always a little bit of added tension. Morgantown is always a good game and a big game for us. Steubenville and St. C are both close and rivals, so I do think we have a lot of games that are important to us, and to our fan base,” said Coach Doc. 

John Marshall is always the biggest game for our football team. This year, our team will be traveling to the Monarch’s stadium. Coach Doc tells me about the atmosphere, “I like being in that rough environment, that screaming and yelling, kind of being away from home, I like it. It’s only 10 minutes away, so it’s like being at home, when the games over, it’s a quick return home. We’re always excited to go to John Marshall.”

“I think season will go pretty well, I think we can make it pretty far in playoffs,” said Cameron Bryan, a junior on Varsity.

Upcoming Home Games:

Oct. 20     Brooke 

Oct. 27     Parkersburg South