New Teachers? No Problem!

Se%C3%B1ora+Gonzales%2C+a+new+WPHS+teacher%2C+teaches+Spanish.+
J
Señora Gonzales, a new WPHS teacher, teaches Spanish.

Back to school can be rough, and not just for students. This year, Wheeling Park was lucky enough to meet many new teachers- five long-term subs, one new counselor, and seven new teachers to be exact. Three of these teachers include Mr. Payne, Ms. Schultz, and Señora Gonzales. Here´s what each of them had to say about being a new addition to the Patriot family. 

“Overall, it’s been a good environment. I know a decent amount of my students already, as I taught at Triadelphia last year and have a few freshmen classes. I teach Algebra I and Geometry here at WPHS. I like the environment. My only dislike is the early mornings. I show my park pride with my new blue hair!”, says Ms. Schultz. 

“It has been great. They have been awesome, very welcoming. I have taught elementary education in the past. Now, I teach Spanish I and Spanish II. Things are very fast and crowded, that’s the only part I dislike. To show my park pride, I participate in all of the different meetings and activities we have going on.”, says Señora Gonzales. 

“All the students have all been really welcoming. My homeroom’s all seniors and they have all been incredibly friendly to me and make me feel very welcome. Last year, I taught at St. Vincent’s. I had a really good time… I taught English there. I student-taught at Park a few years ago, and before that, I substitute-taught at a bunch of parochial schools and all throughout Belmont County. I had a really good time… I went back to teaching full-time. I teach a Jobs for WV class and I teach the Option Pathway Program. I like the diversity and all the different faces you’ll see walking in the halls. Everyone’s just super friendly. There are so many names- I can’t keep track of everyone. That’s been very hard. I show my park pride by showing up with a smile on my face!”, says Mr. Payne. 

In conclusion, there is no need to be scared of having a new teacher this year. After all, we were all new here once!